What is Bulimia Nervosa?
Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder in which a person overeats and then purges (through self-induced vomiting, or abuse of laxatives or diuretics) in an effort to lose weight. Bulimia Nervosa is a dangerous eating disorder in which patients experience a lack of control over their eating. It can be associated with body dysmorphia (an inability to see one’s body objectively). As a result, those with bulimia nervosa often become focused with losing weight, even at the expense of their health.
Although rooted in a desire to be thinner, bulimia nervosa is a dangerous condition that threatens a person’s quality of life, self-esteem and self-worth. The disease is associated with a wide range of physical, emotional and psychological complications. These include depression, anxiety, damage to the mouth, throat and digestive system, serious cardiovascular conditions, gum disease, tooth decay, drug abuse, addiction and even suicidal tendencies.
Some of these complications are caused by bulimia; others are partly responsible for the development of bulimia nervosa and can be considered co-occurring disorders in their own right. As such, seeking bulimia treatment is an important measure to effectively diagnose the problem at hand.
Bulimia nervosa often develops slowly, in stages, and may progress over months or even years before it becomes critical. It’s important to seek bulimia treatment in order to address the root causes of the illness, not just the physical symptoms. It’s also important to establish a reliable support network a patient can turn to throughout their recovery.
The good news is that people from all walks of life can and do recover successfully from bulimia. With proper bulimia treatment and plenty of aftercare support, they are able to avoid relapses over the long term.
Rosewood Uses an Individualized 5-Goal Process for Bulimia Treatment
Our approach at Rosewood for bulimia treatment options is always to personalize each patient’s bulimia treatment plan in ways that respond to their individual needs. Our overarching goals for each patient’s bulimia treatment program focus on a common set of imperatives that each patient arrives at in their own unique way. These include:
- Ensure the patient is medically stabilized, at a weight level that’s medically appropriate; provide any necessary detoxification under careful medical supervision.
- Develop a comprehensive bulimia treatment plan with input from our multidisciplinary team as well as the patient and family members.
- Work with the patient to detect and deal with any psychiatric illness and psychological challenges associated with bulimia nervosa disorder or co-occurring disorder(s).
- Focus on behaviors and thinking processes that impede progress toward lasting recovery.
- Proactively prepare each patient with comprehensive aftercare plans that reduce the chance of relapse.
We are here to help you.Call (928) 668-0906
Treatment for Bulimia Nervosa
Each Rosewood Bulimia Rehab location offers personalized bulimia nervosa treatment. Our medical team reviews and adjusts each bulimia treatment plan as the patient’s recovery evolves. All Rosewood treatment centers for bulimia offer:
- Effective therapies and bulimia treatment techniques based on clinical evidence
- Coordinated team of multidisciplinary professionals
- A variety of experiential treatment modalities
At Rosewood’s bulimia treatment centers, we understand what you’re going through. We know every patient comes with their own unique challenges and fears. So whether you’re interested in treatment for bulimia for yourself or someone close to you, please know that we accept patients for who they are, no matter where they are in their own journey for residential and inpatient bulimia treatment. With our deep knowledge about the disorder itself and how to treat it, we work with bulimia patients to develop a personalized recovery program through different bulimia treatment methods that helps them regain control over their lives and help walk them through their treatment goals for bulimia.
Together, we can:
- Pinpoint what emotions trigger bulimia symptoms, along with any unidentified issues and disorders that need to be examined.
- Develop healthier, more affirming ways of reacting in the face of sadness, shame, fear and stress.
- Help patients escape the damaging cycle of binary “either/or” thinking that can lead to hopelessness and poor decision-making.
- Strengthen each patient’s confidence in the ability make wise lifestyle choices on a day-to-day basis.
Rosewood has more than a decade of experience diagnosing and treating people with bulimia nervosa and addressing the underlying issues—such as shame, suffering and low self-esteem—associated with it. Using a holistic, compassionate, multidisciplinary approach, we help patients recover from the physical and emotional effects of bulimia.
Just as all patients are unique, so is the care and treatment required to recover from bulimia nervosa and co-occurring disorders. While the path to healing is different for each patient, the goals are similar. Patients learn to pause and assess their thoughts and disrupt the negative assumptions that once felt automatic. They learn to trust in their own empowered judgment and the ability to choose behaviors consciously, thoughtfully, healthfully, and with intention.
As patients start to improve from stress and anxiety, loneliness and hopelessness, they gain a sense of self-awareness, improved self-image, and body acceptance. Experiencing these powerful improvements within a community of healing and recovery, with people dealing with similar struggles at the same time, adds to the power of the communal recovery experience at Rosewood.
To accomplish this level of healing, our multidisciplinary team of experts—typically including a psychiatrist, dietitian and other specialists and therapists—works with each patient to develop an individualized bulimia treatment plan, which will include a wide range of therapies. These can include:
- One-on-one and group therapy sessions
- Artistic and experiential therapies, including equine and canine therapy
- Foundational learning about the disease process of bulimia
- Ongoing nutritional counseling and therapy
- Intensive family therapy
- 12-step programs
Levels of Care for Bulimia Treatment
At Rosewood, our patients enter treatment at the appropriate level of care that is required for their specific situation. This determination is generally based on medical complications, acuity of the eating disorder and results of the patient’s evaluations. As patients move along the path of recovery, they can step-down among the levels of care within our comprehensive services:
Next Friday marks nine years in recovery for me. Nine years since I chose life. Nine years ago I admitted myself into Rosewood’s care…Read more testimonials
Is Bulimia Causing Problems for You or Someone You Love?
Find out and take action. Rosewood offers proven bulimia nervosa treatment programs that work. Here are some steps you can take right now:
- Take our free online bulimia assessment. One of our intake professionals will call you in complete confidence to discuss the results.
- Call us now at (800) 845-2211. Compassionate staff is available 24/7 to answer your questions.