That’s especially true for eating disorder patients who are either transitioning from a more concentrated inpatient or residential level of care and for those who are just starting down a path to recovery. Our Intensive Outpatient program provides a happy medium.
Patients in Intensive Outpatient care have the flexibility to pursue their normal daily routines, such as school or work, and spend their evenings at Rosewood. The program is designed for people who are stable enough to function independently, with the skills and confidence to take on basic responsibilities. At the same time, the program provides important resources to reinforce and strengthen the coping strategies and life management skills every eating disorder patient needs.
Our Intensive Outpatient program offers a number of relevant advantages, including:
- Continuity: Participating patients can continue with their lives and routines while receiving a variety of targeted recovery-enhancing services related to their eating disorder—all with minimal disruption.
- Practical skills: In addition to various therapeutic modalities, Intensive Outpatient care addresses the practical aspects of recovery from an eating disorder. Patients receive real-world nutritional support that enables them to make food-related choices based on knowledge and facts, not assumptions and misinformation.
- Connection: People receiving Intensive Outpatient care have opportunities to make deeper connections more easily with others in the recovery community—through group therapy within the program as well as outside support groups. The bonds of fellowship form an important resource patients can rely on throughout their recovery journeys.
- Family ties: For many patients, especially those with only moderate or minor damage from their eating disorder, the need to stay connected with family members or loved ones can preclude a more structured treatment program. Intensive Outpatient care provides flexibility for both.
- Privacy: Some high-functioning eating disorder patients often have demanding careers or social networks. There is a real concern about negative consequences if their eating disorder becomes widely known. While all our treatment programs maintain strict HIPAA controls, Intensive Outpatient care adds an extra layer of patient privacy.
Intensive Outpatient Programs at Rosewood
Rosewood offers two Intensive Outpatient programs designed to provide regular, structured group programming throughout the week. They’re based at Rosewood Santa Monica, near the Pacific Ocean in Southern California, and at Rosewood Tempe, near Arizona State University and about 90 miles away from Wickenburg.
Both Intensive Outpatient programs provide either a step-up in support for individuals struggling with their eating disorder symptoms or a step-down for those transitioning from a higher level of care.
After acquiring recovery skills during a more structured treatment program, many patients find it beneficial to process their experiences in a safe and supportive group environment while establishing a solid foundation for recovery. These important programs enable patients to take responsibility for, and ownership of, their own recovery as they take a more active role in re-shaping their lives.
Intensive Outpatient Services Are Ideal for:
- Patients living independently or with supportive family members
- Patients who are employed or pursuing an education
- Individuals, families and couples requiring outpatient treatment for depression, anxiety, anger management, addictions, mood disorders, PTSD, co-dependency, family/relationship issues, obsessive compulsive behaviors, trauma and other co-occurring disorders
Outpatient Treatment Modalities
Our Intensive Outpatient program provides a wide variety of outpatient counseling and therapeutic services to address the entire spectrum of eating disorders and co-occurring conditions, incorporating an integrated, holistic approach. Our multidisciplinary team of clinicians, dietitians, and psychiatrists provides an individualized program of traditional and innovative outpatient services, including:
- One-on-one and group psychotherapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Guided imagery & Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Exposure therapy
- Stress and anger management
- Emotional regulation
- Behavioral modification
- Ongoing nutritional support
- Art therapy
- Family therapy
- Marital counseling
Intensive Outpatient Services at Rosewood Santa Monica
Located close to the Pacific Ocean and many Southern California attractions, Rosewood Santa Monica provides treatment and care for eating disorder patients in a secluded, relaxed setting that meets patients where they are in their own recovery journeys. Our multidisciplinary teams provide Intensive Outpatient programming on weekdays during the day and evening. Drawing upon our expertise with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder and associated co-occurring disorders, we customize a detailed treatment plan that addresses each patient’s unique needs. We offer a wide array of treatment components, including nutritional education and meal planning, supervised evening meals, as well as body image groups, individual and group therapy, gentle and mindful eating process groups, and experiential therapies.
Intensive Outpatient Services at Rosewood Tempe
Conveniently located in Tempe, AZ, adjacent to the Arizona State University main campus, Rosewood Tempe is an outpatient arm of our full suite of programs at Rosewood Ranch. It offers innovative and customized treatment options for men, women and adolescents suffering from eating disorders, various mental health issues, or relationship issues.
Because Rosewood Tempe is located about 90 miles from our main Rosewood Ranch facilities in Wickenburg, it is ideal for patients who are taking a first step in their recovery process as well as those who are transitioning to a less structured program.
Other Levels of Care Available at Rosewood:
Inpatient Treatment Program (IP): Our highest level of care for severely compromised patients. Includes continuous monitoring, an intensive care unit, medically supervised detox and other needed services in our licensed on-site hospital.
Available at Rosewood Ranch.
Residential Treatment Program: For residents who are medically stable, but still need support staff available 24-hours a day.
Available at Rosewood Ranch.
Extended Day Treatment Program: 11-hour individualized treatment for eating disorder patients with severely impaired functioning.
Available at Rosewood Santa Monica.
Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP): Similar to our inpatient program, but in a less structured setting, so residents can practice real life skills. Serves as either an entry point or as a step down from a more intensive program.
Transitional Living Program: Available at our nearby Capri campus and at Rosewood Santa Monica, this balanced residential program provides resources that help patients rediscover their independence as they re-enter society.