As part of our mission to give back, Operation RecoverED regularly visits schools in communities throughout Arizona. In an intimate, supervised school setting, Operation RecoverED volunteers (made up of Rosewood Alumni) help raise eating disorder awareness while sharing their stories of hope and recovery with students and educators. Led by Rosewood Alumni Coordinator, Shannon Hershkowitz, Operation RecoverED is part of a Rosewood’s early intervention program. Early intervention plays a crucial role in increasing one’s chances for long term recovery and reduced disruption of physical and emotional health.
Schools We’ve Visited to Date
- Wickenburg High School. Maricopa County, 10-12 graders
- ASU Tempe – Maricopa County. This was a body image week.
- ASU West – Maricopa County. Continuance of body image week.
- Sunset Ridge Elementary. Maricopa County, 7-8 graders
- S Club, Lake Havasu – Mohave County. Juniors and Seniors
- Havasu High School – Mohave county. 9-12th graders
- Thunderbolt Middle School – Mohave County. 6-8th graders
- Havasu Community Project, “Obsessed with Image” – Mohave County. Community project. Adults, professionals and children attended.
- Mesa Sober Living House – Maricopa County. I spoke with adults of all ages.
- West Wind Elementary – Maricopa County. 7-8 grade children.
- Copper King Elementary – Maricopa County. 7-8 grade children
- Campo Verde High – Maricopa County . 11-12th graders
- Mesquite High– Maricopa County . 11-12th graders
Operation RecoverED Community Outreach
We are incredibly proud of our Operation RecoverED program for giving back to the community through ongoing volunteer work. Rosewood alumni and several clients from Rosewood Capri get together on a regular basis to share their time and talents to make the world a better place. As the actress Gillian Anderson says, “…there is nothing that harvests more of a feeling of empowerment than being of service to someone in need.”
Current Volunteer Projects
- Volunteering for the local Habitat for Humanity
- Monthly volunteering for the Local Food Drive
- Volunteered for the Extreme Makeover 2014 Sunset Park Edition
- Random Act of Kindness with Capri clients. We washed 21 cars, took no $ and encouraged others to pay it forward.
- Volunteering for Salvation Army Bell Ringing.
- Currently working on getting our clients involved in the local Humane Society.
HOW TO GET OPERATION RECOVERED TO YOUR ORGANIZATION
If you would like Operation RecoverED volunteers to speak at your school or organization, please call 800.845.2211 and ask for Shannon Hershkowitz. We are also interested in exploring volunteer opportunities as time and resources allow.