This month’s recipe is perfect for the upcoming holidays. It makes a great gift or a tasty snack for a cozy day at home.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups canned pure pumpkin
- 1 ¾ cup packed golden brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger (can sub for ¼ teaspoon dried)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray six 5 3/4×3 1/4×2-inch baby loaf pans with nonstick spray. Spread seeds out on rimmed baking sheet. Roast until beginning to color, stirring twice, about 20 minutes. Cool seeds. Set aside 1/2 cup whole seeds for topping. Using on/off turns, coarsely grind remaining seeds in processor.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Mix in ground pumpkin seeds. Using electric mixer, beat pure pumpkin and both sugars in large bowl until blended. Gradually beat in oil, then eggs 1 at a time, then minced ginger. Stir in dry ingredients in 4 additions alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions. Divide batter among prepared pans. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup whole pumpkin seeds.
- Bake breads until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pans. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.)
This recipe is brought to you by Rachel Tribby, Executive Le Cordon Bleu Chef, Rosewood Ranch.